I am happy to teach students of all ages. The comments below are tailored to students around 7-8 years of age, which is the most common age my students start, but please feel welcome talk with me if you have queries about starting at a very different age, younger or older.
- To start on a flute with a curved head joint and continue with this until tall enough to hold a full length flute and maintain good posture.
- To spend quite some time initially learning how to produce a sound on the flute. It’s not as easy as it looks! Regular mouth and breathing exercises assist this process.
- To listen daily to recordings of music. This speeds up the learning process.
- To first play pieces by ear with good sound and posture and then learn to read music by sight.
- To have opportunities to learn other supplementary music. For example, ensemble music, Christmas carols, or orchestra music, church music etc.
- To learn basic music theory as playing skills develop.